The Director of Guest Experience is responsible for the innovation and continuous improvement of both the guest experience program and the overall service culture of the organization through consistent, intentional guest experiences at all Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center Events.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Direct, lead, and continuously improve the overall strategy and execution of the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center guest experience program and the overall service culture.
2. Act as the voice of the guest in all strategic initiatives, event planning, contingency planning and all aspects of the business operation. Approach all endeavors with the guest experience in mind, and set the standards for guest communication across all departments.
3. Develop, implement and oversee training and development programs to unify the various teams who create the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center experience, including but not limited to: full-time employees, event staff, contracted event staff and partners.
4. Coach, develop and empower team members to ensure Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center goals and strategies related to the guest experience program are achieved.
5. Research, identify, and implement industry best practices.
6. Measure Guest Service performance by use of surveys and other relative data on an ongoing basis and make strategic decisions based on performance standards and goals to achieve industry-leading guest and fan experiences at the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center.
7. Develop, continuously improve and lead organization-wide recognition and incentive programs that drive and reward consistently elevated levels of service.
8. Implement and continuously improve training and development tools and programs to address gaps in skills and to meet the changing needs of our employees, partners and guests.
9. Provide timely and concise feedback to the executive team and appropriate departments regarding service failures and client/guest concerns to ensure timely feedback and resolution of all client/guest services issues.
10. Create, implement and maintain the complaint resolution process to ensure consistent, efficient and timely responses to customer issues, requests and complaints across all departments.
11. Partner with executive team to lead event after action meetings for major events. Work to develop standard operating procedures for issue avoidance/resolution.
Strong customer focus: Able to demonstrate a high level of service delivery; does what is necessary to ensure customer satisfaction; deals with service failures and prioritizes customer needs.
Understanding of policies and procedures: Able to act in accordance with established guidelines; communicates and enforces organizational policies and procedures; recognizes and constructively conforms to unwritten rules or practices.
Excellent interpersonal relations: Able to relate effectively to a wide range of people, personalities and demographics; is able to “connect” with others in a variety of circumstances so that people are able to feel a level of comfort and ease around that person.
Organized and accurate: Able to perform work and job function with precision and accuracy; realizes errors can have significant impact on desired results and is able to avoid errors in almost all circumstances.
Excellent decision maker: Able to take timely action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; able to consider options and uses reason and analysis to pick the best solution.
Negotiating skills: Able to obtain agreement from multiple parties; communicates high value of services and looks for a win-win.
Excellent leadership ability: Able to assume a role of authority when necessary; advocates new ideas and sets an example for coworkers.
Strong ability to prioritize: Able to use sound judgment in evaluating the relative urgency of various issues; appropriately classifies in terms of time sensitivity, impact, complexity, importance, etc.
Good team player: Able to share credit with coworkers; displays enthusiasm and promotes a friendly work environment; works closely with other departments; supports group decisions.
Strong ability to plan: Able to manage multiple projects; determines project urgency in a meaningful and practical way; uses goals to guide actions; creates detailed action plans.
Established in 1892, the Indiana State Fairgrounds is a modern public event facility that annually hosts more than 400 meetings, shows, and sporting and agriculture events, including the Indiana State Fair. The Indiana State Fairgrounds is one of Indiana’s top tourist destinations annually attracting 2 million visitors to its 250-acre campus in Indianapolis’ Midtown district and adding $124 millio...n to the local economy. Agriculture and food production education are part of the fairgrounds’ mission. The nine-member Indiana State Fair Commission, a quasi-governmental agency, oversees year-round management of the fairgrounds, which operates in a safe and fiscally conscious manner for the benefit of all citizens of Indiana. Additional information is available at www.indianastatefair.com.