STAPLES Center has clearly established itself as the sports and entertainment center of the world. As the home of four professional sports franchises – the NBA’s Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers, the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings and the most recent 2016 WNBA Champions Los Angeles Sparks – STAPLES Center has proven to be a home court advantage for the local teams. The AEG owned and operated arena continues to distinguish itself as the host of major, high-profile events of national and international distinction including the 2004 & 2011 NBA All-Star Games, 2002 & 2017 NHL All-Star Game, 2000 Democratic National Convention, 2009 World Figure Skating Championships and 17 of the last 18 GRAMMY Awards shows. STAPLES Center’s sixteen years have also been marked with performances and special events that brought international stature to the downtown Los Angeles venue including concerts Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Prince U2, Paul McCartney, Garth Brooks, Usher, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Keith Urban, Roger Waters, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Ed Sheeran, Kendrick Lamar, Sade and Justin Timberlake, as well as world championship boxing, family shows and special events. Hosting over 250 events a year, the arena’s reputation for world-class amenities, features and commitment to quality of service and the guest experience is second to none. Staples, Inc. entered into a 20-year agreement to become the arena’s Naming Rights Partner December 1, 1998, which has since been extended into perpetuity.
The STAPLES Center Security Department strives to achieve and maintain the highest level of quality in all aspects of security work. The Security Assistant Manager is responsible for managing a team of Security Supervisors and Security Officers, ultimately ensuring a safe, secure, and comfortable entertainment experience for our guests by planning, monitoring, directing, delegating, controlling, and managing all functions of the Security Department during events. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, risk management, loss prevention, fire/life safety, security/safety training, investigations, budgeting, emergency preparedness, disaster prevention, and personnel management.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
40% SECURITY MANAGEMENT
* Ensure proper enforcement of venue event policies and procedures, including the STAPLES Center Guest Code of Conduct.
* Establish and maintain the venues' reputation for excellent entertainment experience by balancing enforcement of rules & regulations with guest safety and enjoyment.
* Maintain the proper image and generate positive public relations by resolving STAPLES Center guest/artist/client/tenant issues, concerns, and complaints pertaining to security as needed during events.
* Work with Guest Services management to communicate/correspond with past, current, and future STAPLES Center guests to answer guest inquiries, respond to concerns/complaints, and prevent future issues. * Work with Guest Services staff in managing large crowds under constantly changing event environments.
* Work with Director Security on Emergency Evacuation/Response Plans and communication/relationship with LAPD/LAFD.
* Consistently review established policies and procedures, making recommendations for change/improvement to the Director.
* Apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems in order to perform and direct many varied and complex tasks.
* Research and analyze event information (security riders, site visits), providing staffing recommendations and estimates prior to events.
* Make immediate decisions and communicate with security staff in emergency situations.
40% EMPLOYEE MANAGEMENT/TRAINING
* Create, foster, and maintain STAPLES Center's reputation for great service and reduce liabilities by supervising staff including full-time and part-time Security Supervisors and Security Officers.
* Manages a team of Security Supervisors and provide necessary training, support, and guidance.
* Empower supervisory team to lead, coach, mentor, and discipline security personnel as deemed necessary.
* Develops and maintain reference library of Security Department policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for Security Supervisors and all Security Officer deployments.
* Recruit, interview, select, and train security staff according to established guidelines.
* Creates, updates, and maintains reference library of training materials and database of employee training completed.
* Creates, communicates, and executes department employee incentive programs.
* Work with Director(s) to develop employee succession program.
10% EMPLOYEE SERVICES/OTHER
* Serves as primary Security contact to STAPLES Center event management personnel (Building Manager, Guest Services Manager, Event Manager, Operations Manager, etc.) during (team TBD) events.
* Discusses situations, provides solutions, and communicates with event management personnel and Building Manager during events.
* Determines and recommends security staffing in order to make the client's/tenant's event successful and accomplish their goals.
* Manages, maintains, and builds positive relationships with other STAPLES Center management personnel.
Education: * High school diploma (or equivalent) required, college degree preferred.
Experience: * Minimum of 4-5 years security experience in a sports/entertainment facility (i.e. sports arena, sports venue, concert venue, stadium) * Capable of working in a fast-paced environment. * Ability to work under pressure, recognize problems and find solutions. * Capable of supervising a staff of 300+ part-time and full-time individuals. *Ability to multi-task and handle a variety of day-to-day tasks. * Ability to work well with fellow staff members. * Ability to work long irregular hours for an extended period of time as dictated by events and schedule. This will include weekends and holidays. * Must be able to stand/walk for long periods of time and have the ability to lift/push/pull 30 lbs. * Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) is required. * Ability to read, listen, and communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
Preferred Qualifications: * T.E.A.M. Training Certification or Certificates in Security Management preferred but not required * OSHA 10 Certified Safety Trainer * Bilingual a plus but not required
STAPLES Center, back-to-back recipients of the prestigious Pollstar-CIC Arena of the Year award, has clearly established itself as the sports and entertainment center of the world. As the home of four professional sports franchises — the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers, the NHL's Los Angeles Kings and the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks — STAPLES Center has proven to be a home court advantage for the local teams. STAPLES Center continues to distinguish itself as the host of major, high-profile events of national and international distinction including the 2004 and 2011 NBA All-Star Game, the 2002 NHL All-Star Game, the 2000 Democratic National Convention and 2009 World Figure Skating Championships, eleven GRAMMY Award shows as well as the annual X Games competitions and Pac-12 Basketball Championship tournaments. STAPLES Center's twelve years have also been marked with performances and special events that brought international stature to the downtown Los Angeles venue including concerts by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (who played the arena's first-ever public event on October 17, 1999), Prince, U2, Paul McCartney, Garth Brooks, Usher, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Taylo...r Swift, Roger Waters, Britney Spears, Beyonce, Mana, Sade and Justin Timberlake, as well as world championship boxing including Lennox Lewis vs. Vitali Klitschko for the World Heavyweight Championship. Hosting over 250 events a year, the arena's reputation for world-class amenities, features and commitment to quality of service and the guest experience is second to none.
Anschutz Entertainment Group, Inc. (“AEG”) is a subsidiary of The Anschutz Company and one of the leading sports and entertainment presenters in the world. AEG owns a collection of companies including multi-use facilities such as STAPLES Center and Home Depot Center in Southern California, several sports franchises including the Los Angeles Kings (NHL) and Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS) and AEG LIVE, one of the world's leading concert promotions and touring companies. AEG is also currently overseeing the development of L.A. LIVE, 4 million sq. ft. downtown L.A. sports, residential and entertainment district.