The Event Manager provides responsible detailed-oriented, organized professional customer services in the Sports and Entertainment Division. Employees in this classification must have professional work experience in planning, organizing and controlling events to allow them to assume substantial responsibilities with minimal orientation.
The Event Manager assists with coordinating and directing the delivery of service during set-up, move-out and/or night time management to stand alone special events, including but not limited to concerts, sporting events, meetings, trade shows, festivals, consumer shows, OR coordinates services for larger events under the direction of Senior Event Managers and/or Director, Event Operations. The incumbent will also conduct timely review of all contract documentation submitted for processing, and be responsible for the maintenance of event contract records and data to facilitate flow of the event settlement process. Work is performed under the general direction of the Director, Event Operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment.
EXAMPLES OF WORK ASSIGNED
• Acts as Events DC – SED point-of-contact for show managers and implements their specifications and requirements.
• Coordinates show services staff and contractors in delivering services for events and resolves event-related problems.
• Assists Senior Event Managers and/or Director, Event Operations in the pre-event planning, reviewing any past history of the event, initiating correspondence and conferences with show management, their suppliers, and Events DC – SED staff.
• Assists Senior Event Managers and/or Director, Event Operations in the compilation and review of event and contractor charges with appropriate Events DC – SED staff and show management, and reviews documentation for invoice preparation.
• Prepares schedules and meeting room specifications illustrating the event requirements.
• Reviews and preliminary approves all customer/service contractor floor plans.
• Maintains filing system for all SED event contracts to ensure completeness and accuracy of contract records.
• Ensures documentation/paperwork needed for event settlement is submitted to finance departments in a timely manner.
• Ensures the timely collection of deposits and rental fees from SED customers.
• Follows up on a regular and periodic basis with customers to ensure timely resolution of problems and disputes.
• Performs other duties as assigned by management.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays and frequently meet rigid deadlines with limited lead-time, handle concurrent planning and execution of multiple events.
• Ability to keep track of the large number of details involved in the successful execution of events.
• Knowledge of equipment, set-up and tear-down for meetings, consumer shows and banquets.
• Experience coordinating stand-alone meetings, small banquets, ballroom events and consumer shows in a hotel or multi-purpose facility.
• Excellent problem solving and customer relations skills.
• Ability to maintain effective client communications in pressure situations.
• Ability to express ideas and convey information effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to direct other staff operations in delivering diverse facility/campus services and resolve conflicts.
• Ability to read and interpret site maps to determine feasible use of facility/campus space.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, management, co-workers and the public.
• Ability to effectively utilize the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS • Undergraduate diploma • Two (2) years of significant customer-oriented hospitality industry experience, ideally in a stadium, concert venue, convention hotel, conference or convention center, or significant operating experience with management of meetings and/or expositions. • Any equivalent combination of related experience, training, and/or education.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS • Experience using Adobe Illustrator or other Windows-based drawing software. • Must have a valid driver’s license • Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
REQUIREMENT • All positions require candidates to successfully complete our background screening process.
About Events DC
Events DC is the face of conventions, sports, entertainment and cultural events within our nation’s capital. As the official convention and sports authority for the District of Columbia, Events DC leverages the beauty, history and diversity of the most powerful city in the world to attract and promote an extensive variety of events, resulting in amazing experiences for residents and visitors alike, and generating economic and community benefits for the city.
Our success comes by focusing on divisions that reflect three lines of business: Conventions and Meetings, Sports and Entertainment, and Special Events, where we make a range of strategic investments in the region’s marquee sports, entertainment and cultural properties. Each division is driven by the desire to bring stellar events to Washington, DC by providing superior customer service to our clients and visitors.